Flaxseed Oil Supplements Benefits For A Healthy Diet
According to a Harvard study entitled “The Preventable Causes of Death in the United States” a deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids causes an astonishing number of deaths in the United States every year. In fact, the study concluded that between 72,000 and 96,000 deaths a year could be avoided if average Americans consumed a sufficient amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
“..lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors for chronic diseases also cause a substantial number of deaths in the US.” – PLOS
These essential nutrients are available from a number of sources, such as fish oil, nuts, chia seeds, sprouted radish seeds and flaxseed oil. Of these, flaxseed oil is the richest source. It is a unique oil that provides an abundant amount of the of omega-3 fatty acids:
- Docosahexagenoic Acid (DHA)
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
These oils are all important components of your cell membranes, so it is vital that you get an ample supply of ALA, EPA and DHA. When you take flaxseed oil supplements regularly, you provide your body with essential support and healing functions.
What Are the Benefits of Flaxseed Oil?
One of the most important benefits of supplementing with flaxseed oil is that it helps to soothe the lining of your intestinal wall. A healthy gut is the basis of a strong immune system and good health. People suffering with intestinal conditions such as colitis and Crohn’s disease can find relief from inflammation with regular flaxseed oil supplementation. Other specific benefits include:
- The omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed oil helps boost your metabolic aftershock and supports efficient fat burning.
- Flaxseed oil supplementation combined with sensible diet has also been found to be beneficial to people suffering from high cholesterol levels.
- People suffering from cardiovascular disease and hypertension have also found relief from their symptoms and facilitated healing through supplementation with flaxseed oil.
- Supplementation with flaxseed oil also helps to reduce and control symptoms of menopause.
- People who suffer from dry eye report finding relief from symptoms when taking flaxseed oil supplements.
Overall, flaxseed oil helps to keep your skin hair and nails properly nourished, your joints lubricated and your soft tissues hydrated.
How Can You Take Flaxseed Oil?
You can purchase flaxseed oil as a liquid or in a soft gel form. Look for products that are properly packaged in dark bottles or jars that protect them against light and heat. The most natural and unprocessed types of flaxseed oil can be found in the refrigerated section of your health food store. Look for organically grown flaxseed oil that has not been genetically modified. I recommend looking into supplementing with Activation Products’ Panaseeda Five Seed Oil Blend due to the high quality oil and overall benefits.
Follow package instructions and the advice of your healthcare professional to determine the amount of flaxseed oil you should take daily. You can also use liquid flaxseed oil in slightly warm, cool and cold cooking applications such as salad dressings, herb dips for bread and similar simple recipes.
Fresh flaxseed oil has a tasty, nutty flavor that is quite enjoyable. Unlike fish oil, when you take it as a capsule it does not produce an unpleasant taste at the back of your throat. If you are a vegan and do not eat fish, flaxseed oil is the natural choice for omega-3 supplementation.